Wednesday, December 24, 2014

No more Lao classes

After a lot of thought, I have stopped meeting with my Lao tutor and learning Lao formally.  A few reasons:

1) I have decided to take the GMAT when I get home so I need the time I would usually be in Lao class and doing my homework to study for the GMAT
2) I would like to be fluent in 2 languages, but I have to realize that Lao will probably not be one of them. I already have 7 years of French behind me, so I will be focusing on French instead. I am studying on my own right now and I'm looking into the French Institute in Luang Prabang to see if they have any opportunities to speak to French speakers.
3) Looking forward, I don't see myself speaking Lao ever again unless I work for an organization that is in Laos. French is a much more lucrative language as it is spoken in Africa, Haiti, part of South East Asia, Canada, and Europe. Lao is only known in Laos, and if you know it really well you can kind of understand Thai.
4) Lastly, since I didn't see myself using Laos in the long term, it was really hard to motivate myself to study. I know that I should take advantage of being here but there are just so many other things I would rather be doing with my time.

It is definitely sad to stop because I love my teacher and one nice thing about taking Lao is it shows the staff that you want to be able to speak with them and that you are not haughty and want to only stick to your own language. I will keep trying to learn Lao through my coworkers though!

No comments:

Post a Comment